Chandigarh: Motor-vehicle thefts top the chart when it comes to petty crimes across the city. An analysis of the crime data by the Chandigarh Police reveals a shade increase in the number of motor-vehicle thefts.
Notwithstanding the police claim of foolproof physical patrolling and electronic surveillance through CCTV cameras at various locations, as many as 124 two-wheelers have been stolen in the city during the past three months starting January 1. Of these, the police have recovered only 43 vehicles. The last year’s figure for two-wheeler thefts was 436.
A police official said Bajaj Pulsar bikes topped the list of the stolen vehicles followed by Honda Activa scooters. He said these vehicles had a higher resale value in both the second-hand and spare-parts markets.
The maximum number of thefts (41) were reported from the south division comprising Sectors 31, 34, 36, 39, 49 and Maloya. In the central division comprising Sectors 17, 22 and Sukhna Lake, 40 two-wheelers were stolen. In the east division comprising Sectors 26, 19, Industrial Area, Manimajra, IT Park and Mauli Jagran, 35 vehicles were stolen.Another official said not all stolen vehicles were sold in the second hand market. Many times miscreants use fake number plates and use the stolen vehicles for committing crimes like snatching.
124 two-wheelers stolen in the city in past three months
Only 34 per cent of stolen vehicles recovered till now
Bajaj Pulsar bikes top list of stolen vehicles followed by Honda Activa scooters
- April 7: Jaman Negi of Sector 45 reported theft of his scooter from the parking lot of GMCH-32
- April 3: Sunny of Sector 56 complained theft of his bike parked in front of the DLF building, IT Park
- April 1: Manohar Singh of Milk Colony, Dhanas, reported theft of Bajaj CT-100 bike from the parking lot of Infosys, IT Park
- March 31: Three thefts — Raman of Manimajra said his motorcycle was stolen from the parking of Shantikunj. Kulvir of Sector 40 said his motorcycle was stolen from outside his house and Satya Ranjan Nayak of Sector 41-C reported theft of his scooter from outside his house.
- March 29: Goldy of Vikas Nagar reported theft of Bajaj Pulsar motorcycle.