Accused in Ryan case to be tried as an adult
GURUGRAM: A 16-year-old student accused of killing a seven-year-old boy at the Ryan International School here will be tried as an adult, the Juvenile Justice Board said on Wednesday. The board passed the order on Wednesday morning responding to a plea that the teenager accused of the crime should not be treated as a juvenile. At its last hearing on December 15, the board had reserved its decision till December 20 on whether the accused could be tried as an adult.The teenager is expected to be produced before Gurugram’s Sessions Court at its next hearing on December 22. The board had set up a committee which included a psychologist from PGI Rohtak for an expert opinion on the accused, who had been taken into custody by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) last month. The panel submitted its report in two sealed envelopes, which were opened in the court on the day of the last hearing.Lawyer Sushil Tekriwal, representing Pradyuman’s father, said the report was based on behavioural, sociological and psychological aspects of the teenager. According to Tekriwal, the report said the accused should be treated as an adult and it suggested that he was hyper-aggressive.’ The CBI counsel had also pressed for the teenager to be treated as an adult. The Juvenile Justice Board had noted that the accused was mature enough to recognise the consequences of his actions.
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook