Maruti Vitara Brezza, Ford EcoSport, Tata Nexon Sales Slump In June. The sub-compact SUV segment in India, on the whole, witnessed a drop of over 18 per cent in month-on-month (MoM) sales in June 2018. The segment consists of six major cars, out of which the top three are the Maruti Vitara Brezza, Ford EcoSport and the Tata Nexon. Last month, these cars managed to share over 72 per cent of the segment’s sales amongst themselves. Every car in this segment registered negative MoM sales in June 2018 except for the Honda WRV.
Here are the sales figures of these compact SUVs in India
|Cars||June||May||M-O-M growth (per cent)||Average sales (6 months)|
|Maruti Vitara Brezza||10,713||15,629||-31.45||12,285|
|Mahindra TUV 300||1,811||1,939||-6.6||2,382|
*The Ford Freestyle was launched in April 2018. Sales in previous months have been considered as nil.
- All cars in this segment registered lower sales in June 2018 compared to their average sales over the last 6 months
- The Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza continues to dominate the segment, but with a sale of 5,000 units lesser than the previous month, the margin between the top two players has now reduced. However, it is still way ahead of its competition with a lead of over 6,000 units over the second-best, Tata Nexon
- Amongst MoM losers, the Nexon saw the least decline in sales figures. It registered a marginal drop of 3 per cent, retailing 4,000+ units a month
- The EcoSport, which was the second best-selling subcompact SUV in May 2018, registered a dip of close to 20 per cent in June 2018. With sales plunging by 1000 units, it also lost the second rank to the Tata Nexon. However, it has been a consistent player in the segment and regularly clocks over 5,000 units a month.
- The Honda WRV was the only car to register positive growth figures with a growth of 41.84 per cent. However, it still falls short of its average sales in the last six months.
Six months sales trend – The Maruti Vitara Brezza continues to lead the segment with sales averaging 12,285 units followed by the EcoSport at 5,126 units and the Tata Nexon at 4,443 units.
YoY Market Share
|Cars||June 2018 (%)||June 2017(%)||YoY growth (%)|
|Maruti Vitara Brezza||41.17||46.14||-4.97|
|Mahindra TUV 300||6.96||11.8||-4.84|
- Both the Nexon and the Freestyle weren’t on sale last year in June. But both these cars, especially the Nexon, seems to have acquired a big share of the segment since launch. In June, the Nexon and Freestyle shared amongst them over a quarter of the sales in the segment
- While Ford had more than 18 per cent share in this segment last year, it now has nearly 25 per cent of the share
- None of the cars that were on sale in June last year have registered any growth
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook