As the onslaught of worldwide attack of ransomware continues, entertainment’s mighty giant Walt Disney has emerged as a new victim.According to a report by The Hollywood Reporter, on Monday, Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed that hackers claiming to have access to a Disney movie threatened to release it unless the studio paid a ransom. Iger said that Disney is refusing to pay and the studio is working with the US federal investigators for further actions.Iger also revealed that the hackers have demanded that the huge ransom amount to be paid in Bitcoin.Disney’s 2017 slate for the remaining part of the year includes summer hopefuls like Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, set to release on May 26, and Cars 3, premiering on June 16.A report on Deadline.com said that the hackers have the fifth instalment of the Pirates of the Caribbean series and the extortionists have threatened to release five minutes of the film and then 20-minute chunks on piracy website before the release unless a sizeable ransom was paid.
Hacking attacks paralysed Sony Pictures in 2014, prior to the release of their movie The Interview, a satire movie about a plot to assassinate North Korea premier Kim Jong Un. Last month Netflix was subjected to such threat over their original series Orange is the New Black. After the streaming giant refused to pay the ransom, hackers released all ten episodes of the upcoming set to bow in on June 9.
Later this year, Disney is releasing next instalment of Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thor: Ragnarok, and next episode of Skywalker Saga, Star Wars: The Last Jedi. A few weeks ago online platforms were abuzz with the rumours of a working print of The Last Jedi being used for ransom but the chatter died down over the lack of comment from the studio or other confirming reports.This extortion follows the global ransomware cyber-attack that has affected at least 99 countries with British hospitals taking the biggest hit.
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook