Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das today ordered a fresh probe into the death of the 11-year-old Simdega girl after local activists alleged that she died of starvation. The chief minister has directed the Simdega deputy commissioner to submit the report by tomorrow.
The activists alleged that the girl died a fortnight ago after going without food for several days. They said her family’s ration card was cancelled for not being linked to the Aadhaar number.
Her mother Koeli Devi also said that the family had been starving for days. “We were denied ration by local public distribution shop as our card was not linked to Aadhaar number,” she said.
Simdega deputy commissioner Manjunath Bhajantri had informed Das that a three-member team, comprising civil surgeon and district supply officer, was constituted on October 6 to examine the case following reports of her death was carried by local media.
The team then had found out that the girl died of malaria, Bhajantri said. Das, however, asked the deputy commissioner today to supervise and carry out another probe into the case.
Meanwhile, according to an official release, the chief minister today announced Rs 50,000 as assistance to the girl’s family.
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook