Family members of the newborn, who was allegedly declared dead along with his still-born twin by Delhi’s Max hospital, have staged a sit-in protest outside the hospital demanding strict action against them. The Shalimar Bagh Max hospital on Friday handed over the twins, thinking both to be dead, to the family in plastic bags. When the twins were brought to the burial ground, the parents just before performing the last rites realized that one of them showed movements inside the bag. They immediately rushed to a nearby hospital where the doctors informed one of them to be alive. Max Hospital said they have begun a “detailed inquiry” and sent the doctor involved in the child’s delivery on forced leave. I was holding the child’s ‘body’. It moved a little. When we opened the bag, the child was breathing. We immediately rushed him to a local nursing home,” Praveen Mallik, the child’s grandfather. The other twin, a girl, was stillborn. Mallik said the baby boy has been admitted to a nursing home in west Delhi. “The child is alive but critical. Chances of his survival are slim,” he added. “We will keep protesting till we get justice. The hospital’s licence should be cancelled and the doctor who declared my nephew dead should be jailed,” said Deepak Bidawat, the child’s uncle. Meanwhile, Union Health Minister Jagat Prakash Nadda has asked the Delhi Government to take necessary action over the negligence of Max hospital. Earlier on Friday, a medical negligence case was registered under section 308 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the hospital. Delhi police have registered an FIR and the Delhi government has ordered an inquiry. “It is very unfortunate. I have directed the Delhi government to look into the matter and take necessary action,” Union health minister J P Nadda said.
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook