The holiday season is almost upon us. Before you make plans to visit lands far and wide, why not switch off for the coming weekend and explore places closer home? It will set the tone for a longer holiday and rejuvenate you for the week ahead. We list five places which are within 100-110 kms from Mumbai, and make for an ideal weekend getaway. Pack your bags, hit the road, and drive away in the droolworthy Mumbai weather!
1. Khandala: Of Lakes, Forts, and CavesA one and a half hour drive from Mumbai, Khandala is a popular hill resort that offers a range of activities.
From trekking and sightseeing to hiking, or simply enjoying the scenery – there is nothing that you can’t do here.
There are innumerable sighting options such as Rajmachi fort, Bhushi lake, Lohagad fort, Shingroba temple, Tiger point, Bedsa cave and much more. Even if you don’t want to don the hat of an anxious traveller, at least visit the Kune waterfalls – it is a sight worth beholding.
2. Lonavala: A Quick Escape From The City LightsJust 96 kms from Mumbai, Lonavala offers a quick escapade in the laps of nature. The best part is you can go here with your friends, partner, family, or alone.
You can go camping or stay in pretty cottages while munching on the local food and enjoying the lush greenery. The Lonavala lake, Bushi Dam, and a celebrity wax museum make for good sightseeing options.
3. Kamshet: Perfect Getaway For Paragliding EnthusiastsKamshet is an ideal retreat for the sports junkies – those who want to indulge their adventurous side. Apart from beautiful caves, lakes and temples, Kamshet is a hub for parasailing with a number of gliding schools and trainers in the area. So without much ado, all the paragliding enthusiasts should quickly pack their bags and head towards you-know-where!
4. Igatpuri: Away From The Madding CrowdAll those who are tired of the city life and need a break, head straight to the Vipassana International Academy of Meditation in Igatpuri. You are sure to come back rejuvenated and all ready to take on the world.
But that’s not all. Igatpuri is a beautiful hill station with a mesmerising Camel Valley with a 1000-feet waterfall – which is a treat to the eyes especially during the monsoons. There are a lot of options for the aficionados of forts and architectural marvels such as Ghatandevi temple and the Tringalwadi fort.
5. Raigad: Insight Into Maratha HistoryRaigad is a popular weekend getaway from Mumbai for travelling with families and friends alike.
Of all the attractions here, the Raigad fort is a must-visit. As legend goes, the fort was maintained and nurtured under the supervision of Chhatrapati Shivaji himself. The Raigad museum is yet another place which you must visit as it offers an insight into the rich Maratha history. The other places are Takmok Tok, Jagadishwar temple, and Gangasagar lake.
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook