FIFA U-17 World Cup is going to held from October 6 in 6 cities – New Delhi, Navi Mumbai, Goa, Kochi, Guwahati and Kolkata. India have been drawn in Group A alongside USA, Colombia and Ghana.
But before the showpiece event kicks-off, here are10 interesting facts about the FIFA tournament that you may didn’t know.
1. Three teams are making their debut in the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017 – Niger, New Caledonia as well as hosts India.
2. Iran and Japan were the first two teams to qualify for the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017 while Niger and Mali were the last two to gain qualification for the tournament in India.
3. Brazil’s Ronaldinho is the only player to win both the FIFA U-17 (1997) and the FIFA World Cup (2002) title.
4. 14 -year-old Freddy Adu scored a hat trick in FIFA U-17 World Cup 2013 and followed it up with a hat trick in FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2007 to become the first footballer to achieve a hat-trick at the World Cups of both age levels.
5. The most attended match of U-17 World Cup remains the 2011 final between Mexico and Uruguay which was attended by 98,943 spectators at the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City.
6. A total of 12 players who have played in FIFA U-17 World Cup have also represented their country in a FIFA World Cup final.
7. Nigeria has gone the longest in the tournament’s history without conceding a goal. From the 1987 tournament to the World Cup of 1993, they spent 830 minutes on the field without conceding a single goal.
8. The most goals scored in a tournament was in the UAE in 2013 (172 goals in 52 matches, with an average of 3.31 goals per match).
9. In the history of the U-17 World Cup, Guinea were the first team to win a penalty shoot-out (beating Australia in the 1985 quarter-finals).
10. India are the 18th Asian team to take part in the U-17 World Cup. The last AFC representatives to make their tournament bow were Iraq in 2013.
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook