Manchester: England chief Andrew Strauss has said that players have three days left to decide if they are willing to tour Bangladesh amid ongoing security concerns surrounding the country.
And the former England captain yesterday made it clear that anyone who opted out ran the risk of losing their international position if a stand-in did well in their absence. All-rounders Moeen Ali and Chris Jordan have both said they are unequivocally available to tour and Alastair Cook, England’s Test captain, is believed to have given a private assurance to the same effect.
However, limited overs captain Eoin Morgan has yet to commit to a tour whose future was called into question after an attack on a Dhaka cafe in July that saw 20 hostages killed. “I think as captain, you want to be there in the mix with everybody but ultimately you have to feel comfortable enough to be able to concentrate on cricket and be able to benefit the team,” said Morgan following England’s nine-wicket defeat by Pakistan in last night’s Twenty20 at Old Trafford. “Ultimately it comes down to how comfortable I feel to go.” Following the July attack, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) decided to send an inspection team to Bangladesh led by their long-serving security chief Reg Dickason.
After he reported back, the board confirmed last month that the tour, which includes three one-day international and two Test match fixtures in October and November, would go ahead as planned. ECB director Strauss will meet with England’s contracted players — who will form the bulk of the touring party — at England’s National Cricket Academy in Loughborough on September 9 and 10 for their annual appraisal. During those meetings, the former England opener will seek a definitive answer on players’ willingness to tour, with the squad due to be named publicly on September 16. AFP
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook