A contractual employee of Punjab State Power Corporation Limited(PSPCL) was electrocuted when he was repairing an 11KV line in Janta Nagar on Tuesday night. The incident took place after an “inebriated” PSPCL junior engineer allegedly directed him to repair the line without disconnecting the power.
The deceased, Rakesh Kumar, 39, was a resident of Shimlapuri. Around 8pm, junior engineer (JE) Sandeep Singh asked Rakesh and Anand Kumar, also a contractual employee, to repair a fault in Janta Nagar. On reaching there, both examined the fault and asked the JE to switch off the power. After sometime, the JE allegedly called back Rakesh and stated that he has cut off the power and he could proceed.
Rakesh climbed up the ladder, while Anand helped him. As soon as Rakesh touched the wires, he got electrocuted. He was rushed to the civil hospital, where he was declared dead.
In the wee hours of Wednesday, the area residents reached the PSPCL office in Janta Nagar, thrashed the JE and handed him over to the police. The police took the JE to civil hospital for medical examination to find out if he was drunk. The report is awaited.
The Shimlapuri police have registered a case under Section 304-A (causing death by negligence) of the IPC against JE Sandeep Singh and contractor Balwinder Singh.
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook