Ludhiana: A sudden fire broke out in four shops at Akalgarh Market in Chaura Bazaar on the intervening night of Tuesday and Wednesday.
First, the fire broke out at garment shop Fashion Point following which it got spread in three adjoining shops.
The goods and articles worth several lakhs of rupees were gutted in fire. On being informed, eight fire tenders reached the spot and the fire extinguished after three hours.
All the gutted shops are of the president of Akalgarh Market Association, Manpreet Singh Bunty.
According to information, the PCR cops witnessed the smoke coming out from the shop and informed security guard of the market. Later, they called fire tenders on the spot.
The incident took place at around 3 am.
Fire Safety Officer, Rajinder Sharma said that the reason behind the fire is stated to be short circuit. Eight fire tenders were pressed into service and the fire was doused in around four hours.
Bunty said that due to dangling wires in the market the fire was erupted. He said that on behalf of Akalgarh Market Association they have demanded to repair the wires but no avail.
Meanwhile, the firemen have to face tough time as due to narrow streets of Akalgarh Market, the fire tenders were stationed at Chaura Bazaar and sprinkle system was used to douse the flames of fire.
For more news updates Follow and Like us on Facebook